Regional Youth Playwriting Workshop and Competition
The Regional Youth Playwriting Workshop and Competition aims to nurture Colorado’s young playwrights, develop theatre artists and audiences, develop new plays, and advance literacy, creativity, writing and communication through playwriting.
Designed for area high schools, our one-act playwriting competition is two-fold:
- Professional playwrights will provide workshops to English, Language Arts and Drama classes. Using the one-act form and drama skills, students will develop communication tools using literacy, writing, creativity, and self-expression.
- Working with our Denver Center Theatre Company, we will host a statewide, original one-act play competition. Submissions will be judged blindly by our artistic, literary and education professionals.
- 10 Semi-Finalists
- 3 Finalists will receive a cash scholarship of $250, a staged reading in February 2014 at the Colorado New Play Summit, and a complimentary pass to any reading or production at the Summit. In addition, each teacher of the top three finalists will receive a $250 gift certificate for books, supplies or other teaching tools for their classrooms.
- The winner will have his/her one-act play produced at the Denver Center Theatre Academy 2014 summer program.
The Submission window is now closed. Finalists will be announced on Jan 3.
- Sept to mid-Oct: Free, In-school Workshop. To schedule call 303.446-4855
- Oct 1-Nov 30: One-Act play submissions accepted
- Jan 3: Announce finalists
- Feb 7-9: 3 Staged Readings during the Colorado New Play Summit
- July: Academy Teen Company produces winning one-act play
- Submissions must:
- Be an original, unpublished one-act play
- Be limited to no more than 50 pages
- Be limited to no more than 16 characters.
- Be typed in standard play-style format, 12 point Times New Roman Font and page numbered. Download How to Format a Play formatting tips.
- Include a cover page with a synopsis and cast of characters, the playwright’s name and contact information (including an email address, mailing address, and phone number) and high school name.
- Be submitted online or postmarked no later than December 1, 2013
- Submission must not:
- Be a translation, adaptation, or excerpt.
- Have the playwright’s name anywhere on the submission except the cover page.
- Playwrights must:
- Be currently enrolled in a Colorado high school or in home school.
- Limit submissions to one entry per year
* No revisions will be accepted after submission. Do not send your only copy. Manuscripts will not be returned. No submission fee.
Contact Us for more information.
The Denver Center for the Performing Arts Regional Youth Playwriting Workshop and Competition
Sponsored by Newman Family Foundation and June Travis